Sunday, August 3, 2014

No, But I DO Have Voicemail

I don't know if its Korea or the whole world. I have a sneaking suspicion its becoming the whole world.

Companies and friends are starting to treat me like I'm a problem because I don't have a cell phone number to give out.

I've written my landline phone number on various forms at doctors, the contact lens store, the dentist and job applications.

Within 30 seconds of reviewing the form I've been pressed to provide a cell phone number. We NEED it they say. What do I do if I can't get in touch with you they ask?

I've even had a personal friend have the audacity to complain that they can't call me whenever they want.

Yes. Yes. Yes, you can. Everyone can call me whenever they want.

I just might not answer.

I might be working, sleeping, eating, or shopping.

In that case, the phone will go to voicemail, just like it would if I had a cellphone and were doing the above activities. There you have the option of leaving a voice or text message or a call back page.

And the world will not stop.

You do not need access to me 24/7, nor should you have it.

Cellphones should not run our lives. It is OKAY to miss a call. It is not the end of the world (most of the time) if you can not reach my right this freaking second.

Don't get me wrong. Cellphones are nice, especially when traveling or in emergency situations. But people got by pretty well with landlines before their invention.

I will have been cell-phone free for a year come September and to be honest with you, I haven't missed it.



01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

No comments :

Post a Comment