Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ingredients for a Perfect Summer Sunday

What do you think makes for the prefect summer Sunday?



Here are my ingredients for a delightful day:

1. A good night's sleep.
         My husband and I like to stay up late on Saturday nights. We play board games and watch movies, but sometimes we stay up too late and I don't sleep well.


2. Going to church
     I love going to church and being with other believers. I love learning to look at Scripture in a new way. And boy, do I have the "noise" part  of making a joyful noise down pat.






3. A nice cold drink
    I'm thinking a sweet iced tea, a very sour homemade lemonade or a chocolate pineapple shake from the Sonic. This Sunday, I chose a chocolate chip blended cream from Starbucks.

4. Writing time
    Whether working on my book idea, blogging or journaling this time really relaxes me. I love the feeling of "being in the zone".

5. Down time
    I love to spend time just hanging out with my hubby. We've started watching Copper on Sunday nights. Have you seen it? It took me forever to realize where the show got its name.

6. Comfort food
     I like to make a big batch of something delicious on Fridays so we can eat it all weekend long. This weekend I made chicken and dumplins. The only downside was that I had to eat it in front of the floor fan to keep from having a heat stroke.



Mix together in appropriate proportions and enjoy!
 
If you want the recipe for chicken and dumplins, keep reading!
 
Rachel's Chicken and Dumplins

7-8 pieces of bone in chicken (I used 5 legs and 3 thighs)
Water
Bay leaves
S&P
Garlic
Carrot
Small Can of Corn
1.5 Onions
3-4 Spicy peppers
2 Cups flour


Put the chicken in a big pot. Cover with water. Add in 2 bay leaves, S&P, and one chopped onion. Add a handful of garlic cloves, if you'd like.
Bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover and let simmer for two hours.

Remove the chicken from the pot. Turn the heat down to low. Pull the chicken off the bone. Discard the bone and skin.

Use a colander to separate the chicken stock from the cooked onion and garlic. Discard the onion and garlic. Return the stock to the pot.

Return chicken to the pot with half a chopped onion and one  chopped carrot, chopped peppers and the corn. Let simmer for half an hour, until heated through and the carrot is soft.

Make the dumplings by combining flour with 2 tablespoons cold water. Mix to form a sticky dough, adding more water as needed. Form one inch balls.

Place the balls in the stock and cover. Do not stir. Swirl the pot gently, if need be. Cook for 5 minutes.


Enjoy!
01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

No comments :

Post a Comment